Founded in 1890, Tiferet Israel Congregation is one of the oldest and largest Traditional synagogues.
Our beautiful sanctuary is a synthesis of traditional and modern synagogue architecture with an atmosphere of sanctity and serenity.
Our service offers a combination of Hebrew and English, enabling all worshipers to participate in meaningful prayer and meditation.
Tiferet was chartered in March of 1890. For the first three years, the services were held in the home of Jake Donosky on Caroline Street. Frank Byers led the services. In 1893, property was purchased on Highland Street (Akard Street). The existing structure was used for services until 1902. It was razed, and a new synagogue was built and used until 1937.
In 1939, Max Katz donated land at Grand Ave. and Edgewood St. A modern synagogue was built there; and it is still standing.
By the 1950’s, the Jewish community was moving north, and in 1956, Tiferet Israel moved to its present location. The first phase of the building included the Taubman Chapel, an office, classrooms and a small kitchen.
In 1961 ground was broken to build the Main Sanctuary, Katz Social Hall, two complete kitchens and the only Mikvah in Dallas. Over the years, the existing building has had additions and renovations to meet the demands of a thriving congregation.